<$BlogRSDUrl$>

Tuesday, March 15, 2011

A Fresh New Start?

OK. So this looks like my first year without fantasy baseball in about 20. That's fine. I've been too busy for it, really, but I feel like I must do... something.

So, I was thinking about how my baseball feelings have changed over the years. I've gone from a one-team-forever-kid (Mets) to kind of spreading it out over a few teams (+Red Sox +Padres +Cubs) to sort of picking teams I was rooting for every year (+Brewers +Rays +Athletics +Twins) maybe based on how well I thought their team was being run and maybe based on me rooting for players on those teams. Some people, my brother was included, are of the opinion that things like Fantasy Baseball turn people away from being "real fans" like my younger days rooting for the Mets.

So, I'm going to try turning this possible disappointment into an opportunity. I'm thinking, God willing, I've got about 30 years left on this planet (and hopefully the planet has left) and since there are 30 teams, why don't I choose a "favorite team" once a year: read all I can about them, listen to as many broadcasts as I can, and post my own opinions about how the season is going up here where no one will read them. I like this idea, at least for now.

I also thought to myself, "Should I make this decision randomly?" For the purity of it all? I might wind up with the Houston Astros. Then I answered, "Heck no!" I'd much rather follow a team that I think will have an interesting season. Not necessarily one that is going to be a favorite. But one I'll take pleasure in. One with flaws and character.

And so, for 2011, I will be gladly following the foibles of the Milwaukee Brewers. Yes, the Brew Crew, whose hopes are so high to win a weak division with the addition of two good starters - Greinke and Marcum - only one of whom is already hurt. It will be their last year most likely of Big Prince and I have to say I love Bob Uecker as my favorite radio broadcaster. He's probably got less years than I do at this point so I'm going to enjoy it while I can.

Let's go Brew Crew!

Comments: Post a Comment

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?