<$BlogRSDUrl$>

Monday, May 09, 2011

Thinking About Brewers Coaches

One of the great things about listening to the previous night's games in the morning while working is the archives begin with the Ron Roenicke Show. A couple games ago there was also an interview with third base coach Ed Sedar.

Both Sedar and Roenicke sound like really nice guys. Really pleasant, soft-spoken neighbors who will chat with you about this or that. Roenicke comes across as just another fan. When he talks about good things from a game, there is no insight other than what everybody saw. "Yeah, I wasn't sure about that ball Gomez caught but he's got such great speed and he got it." "Guys are starting to hit better, I think." "The guys tell me that [Kyle McClellan] is tough on them in relief. He throws all the pitches well." "Gosh, I'd sure like it if we could get out of this 7-game losing streak."

I wish I could say that these interviews gave me confidence. He sounds like a middle manager who ambles around a department he doesn't really understand. Maybe he's a "players manager," a guy who is just like one of the team and does all the business end of things - turning in a lineup, calling in pitchers, etc. but doesn't do too much else. He doesn't sound like a motivator in any way. Maybe this can work. I don't know.

Ed Sedar had a refreshingly different voice for sports. With a slight lisp and a gentle tone, it was the least macho I've ever heard from a sports guy. Sedar is a huge man and a former four-sport athlete who played in the White Sox organization, and a dad who loves cooking and his three golden retrievers: Sadie, Jake and Romeo. No mention of him being married. I have to admit I'm pulling for the idea that he's gay only because that might lead to more open-mindedness in pro sports.

At first base, is Garth Iorg. I remember when he was a major leaguer and I hated getting his baseball card. Dane Iorg too. Nothing personal against those guys but I swear I had 100 copies of each of them. Every pack had a dang Iorg in it. Them and Jim Beattie.

Anyway, I like these guys as people. Whether or not they can make this team successful (or what a coaching staff can do, anyway) remains to be seen. I'm already not that much of a fan of Roenicke as a strategist. I'd like to see if he'll make adjustments. Batting Gomez eighth last night is a good sign.

Comments: Post a Comment

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?