<$BlogRSDUrl$>

Sunday, August 14, 2011

Ripping on Hall of Famers While Trying to Sweep the Buccos

Ueck: How's Robin-Aid going?
Robin Yount: Oh, it's going great. Things are going great at the State Fair.
Ueck: Going great for your wardrobe. It's not all going to charity, I can see.

Ueck: What else have you been doing?
Yount: Oh, I have been traveling a lot. I did four cities in five days last week: down to Cincinnati, up to Chicago, Cleveland, and then back to Milwaukee. The Brewers were on the road so I couldn't come to a game.
Ueck: So with all this traveling, what does your parole officer do?

Yount: So we did a lot at the State Fair with Robin-Aid to raise money for kids.
Ueck: I remember you driving a corvette around the track at the State Fair. Doing four or five laps, after hours, illegally.
Yount: I'm not convinced it was illegally. The gates were open.
Ueck: After you drove through them, sure.

It's both German Day and also Craig Counsell Bobblehead Day (in Lederhosen). Yount is talking about how he remembers when Counsell was a kid because his dad worked for the team. Ueck said, "People don't realize how long I've known Craig Counsell -- since he was a fetus. No one asks about that." Yount asked how he was as a fetus. "Small."

Talking about hitting Yount said that the split-finger fastball probably ran him out of baseball. He couldn't see it or hit it. But "fortunately most of those guys hurt their arms so they don't throw it any more."

Was Yount an off-speed or fastball hitter? "I liked it slow. The slower the better. Left-handed and slow. That's how I liked it."

Uecker said, "A lot of people don't believe me, and not to compare us as hitters, but I could tell the difference between a fastball and a breaking ball in total darkness. You see a fastball would raise a welt about four inches on me but a breaking ball just caused a bruise."


Thinking about the Buccos, it just seemed destined to happen that for once they were going to be buyers at the trade deadline, bringing in some fairly mediocre veterans in D-Lee and Ryan Luddite, that you knew they were going to start losing. Then they dropped 100 games in a row and now they'll just have to struggle to get above .500 for the season. It's kind of a bummer, but well who knows? They could get hot again. Charlie Morton is really putting it all together this year. I remember seeing good stuff from him on the Braves so I'm not surprised.

Anyway, why the heck did Hurdle take him out of the game? The Crew could do nothing with him. There was a dink base hit and a sacrifice bunt in the 8th. How does this imply that Morton lost his stuff? Anyway, tie game because of a lucky wild pitch.

Comments: Post a Comment

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?